Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My Red Sauce!

Pin It Now!
I went for a run last night.  Eep!  My hip has been hurting like crazy since my first 9 mile run this year.  It felt better before my last race, but was aggravated again and hurt for weeks.  I think it was the increase in distance mixed with incline.  So I gave it a rest for a while, got some new shoes, and took them for a spin last night.  Only did a mile and a half - my plan is to start slow and regain trust that the pain won't come back. My fingers are crossed.  I have to remember to go slow, however.  I kept looking down at my garmin and speeding up to keep at 10 min/mi pace - unnecessary since I don't actually compete and would like to run an ultra.  Someday. I hope.

Finally I have been able to post this recipe! I cannot count how many times I've started taking pictures of my method for this sauce but was unable to finish for one reason or another. I must warn you however: I rarely use measurements because, really, they don't matter! I think I have not ever once made this sauce in the same way twice and it's always delicious! Feel free to add or subtract whatever you want/crave.


First, add a layer of olive oil to the bottom of your saucepan and turn the heat to medium. Add a couple handfuls of chopped onion and a spoonful of chopped garlic to the pan and let it bubble and turn slightly brown. Add your ground meat (I most often choose a pound of ground lamb that I get at Safeway), crumble it up and start it browning.


Add sliced mushrooms. I choose shiitake because the flavor is so much richer.


Once the mushrooms have wilted a bit and the meat is almost all browned add 1 can of tomato sauce. I buy the organic canned tomato sauce at Costco. You don't need the fancy stuff with the herbs in it 'cause we are adding our own! Saving $$! Woot! 

I make a pile of dried herbs, salt and pepper that looks proportionate to the amount of sauce (sorry, no measures here - maybe a few tsp each?) then stir it all together. My favorite dried herbs for red sauce are: basil, oregano, chili flakes, rosemary, garlic powder and onion powder. I didn't use the powders this time - didn't feel like it I guess.



Secret ingredient! I add a couple tablespoons of this to deepen the flavor profile of the sauce. I love it!



Stir everything together, cover, turn burner as low as it will go and walk away for at least a half hour. The dried herbs need time to reconstitute and become soft. Stir it every once in a while to release delicious smells into the house!


Boom! Finished. Serve with gf pasta, spaghetti squash, or by itself. This is a thick, hearty meat sauce that is perfect in every way  Eat it up!

powered by Funnel

No comments:

Post a Comment