Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Weeknight Lamb and Spinach

Pin It Now!
This last week has been interesting.  I'm now at day 9 without any caffeine and hadn't needed it once. YAY!   Getting up early enough to make juice in the 'Bass-o-matic' and clean up after has been a challenge. Ugh, I hate waking up when it's dark out. But I feel really good! A little less tired than I am used to being. Success!

On another food note, I have almost completely cleaned our kitchen of all processed/refined foods! All that is left is sauces.  Some sauces come in healthier, more 'whole' versions, while some will never be replaced.  Tabasco, for example, isn't going anywhere.  If you read the ingredients though, they really aren't that bad.... Denial is not only a riv...oh whatever. I love the stuff.  It stays.

This last weekend I went for a run.  I planned on bumping up my time up from 66 to 88 minutes.  Three too many impulse turns into and around Bridle Trails and I finally made it back home after a hour and 45.  Good thing I had plenty of 'Jane Eyre' left on my audible app!  By the time I got home Tom was awake and had given up on me making breakfast and had started putting together an omelette that was to die for. Why I don't make him cook more often, I don't know...

The last few weeks I've been playing around with lamb - specifically rack of lamb.  I. Love. Lamb.  I used to be afraid of cooking this wonderful meat of the gods, but really it's just like beef and that's how I cook it.  Is that how you're supposed to? I don't know - I'm no chef! But it turns out alright and that's all that matters, right?

The recipe that I have been tinkering with for the last few weeks is super-simple and (almost) super-fancy.

First, get a skillet on a medium burner with some olive oil (just a swirl of the pan).  Then cram as much spinach in as will fit and top it off with a handful of raisins (or other dried berry) and pop a lid on it to let is wilt in it's own steam.


 I cut up a rack of lamb into it's individual chops and salt and pepper each side...


 ...and pop them in a medium skillet with a few swirls of olive oil.


If you don't have one of these splatter guards, get one. Now. It's gunna save you some serious cleaning work in a little bit. 



Three minutes per side for medium-rare chops and by the time those are nice and golden the spinach will be wilted and the raisins warmed and plumped. Add salt and pepper to taste.


 Voila! This was my plate.  I know I left out the asparagus. FOR SHAME!  I'll post the recipe for those (broiled balsamic asparagus) another time.

I finished off my dinner with a glass of old vine malbec.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment