Sunday, October 14, 2012

About the Airfield Estates Vineyard 5k

Pin It Now!

 As you can see from this years event poster with Katie front and center, we did this race last year and had so much fun we had to do it again!  This year the wine-makers dinner was before the race which we should have known was going to be trouble, but our schedules didn't make it so that we could stay another night and have a nice wine-filled dinner somewhere else...hopefully next year!


 So after a night of wine and all the foods I should not be eating (bread pudding being the worst offender) we  got ourselves to the vineyard and were grateful for the nice weather as it had rained really, really hard the night before.


They kicked off the event with a fly over by a few local planes accompanied by 'Highway to the Danger Zone' from Top Gun blasting through the sound system.  I was so overcome by the cheesiness of it I think I was laughing hysterically when I took this photo. Sooo cheese-tastic.



The race was pretty much how we remembered it, which was good because it is probably the second hardest course I've run to date (the Cinco de Mayo race at Volunteer Park in Seattle being the hardest).  As predicted, Katie got a sizable lead on Betsy and I as she has been running trails like it's no one's business.  Look at her go in my super-sweet sunnies - I think they made her even faster...





Betsy and I stuck together once I caught up with her.  We flew (as is fitting for an airplane themed event) the  last mile and a half as the hills were all behind us.  We finished in 31 minutes and change - not too bad for being far from the shape I was in before my last spat of tummy yuckiness that kept me away.

We departed the race soon after, vowing to do more races.  Next up: Turkey Trot November! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment