Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Shoe Review: Merrell Pace Glove

Pin It Now!

I purchased the Merrell Pace Glove after I ran my second pair of Vibram Five Fingers into the ground and got sick and tired of the hot spots that never seemed to stop forming under my big toes.  These were appealing because they still have the Vibram out sole making them very thin and light-weight, and the 'glove' in the name is spot on; they feel like a glove or sock. I LOVED them and could not wait to hit the pavement without getting those awkward glances from people 'admiring' my monkey shoes.

I continued to, and still do, wear my Injinji socks in them because (1) they are expensive as all hell and can't justify not wearing them and (2) I like the feel and movement of the lightweight version; they seem to allow my toes to move more freely than a regular sock would.

The reason I don't wear these any more, apart from wearing them out, was that after about 5 miles the thin-ness of the shoe really started to get to me.  I would develop a tenderness under my forefoot that was unbearably annoying and would leave me tender for days. Now understand, I've been running in minimalist shoes for quite a while now (barefoot, two pairs of VFF's, Saucony Hattori's, Invisible Shoes) so it's not really a matter of my feet getting used to running 'bare', which is why I decided to hunt for something with a little more meat in the end.

All in all, I put a total of 105 miles on these puppies and they did wear significantly.  But they were on the inexpensive side, so I'm satisfied by the performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment