Sunday, July 8, 2012

Picnic Fare

Pin It Now!
Tom and I love picnics in the summer time.  This last Friday I took a trip to Whole Foods to pick up a quick picnic dinner and dessert  for a surprise date night dinner outdoors.

COCONUT WATER

I found these whole young coconuts in the drink section and had to get them.  I've heard that coconut water is high in fiber, potassium and sodium and is great as a post-workout beverage.  Since Tom had just finished a cross-fit workout before I rushed him out the door, I figured this would be both a fun, and beneficial, appetizer.

MEXICAN-STYLE "NACHOS"


For the main course I hit up the burrito bar and filled a large container with layers of pulled pork, onions, green onions, cilantro, jalapenos, sauteed onions and peppers and guac.  More of a 7 layer dip than nachos, but either way it was fabulous with 100% blue corn tortilla chips. 

DESSERT

For dessert I really struggled to find a cookie in the cookie isle that was wheat, dairy, and soy free.  That is until I looked down to the bottom shelf and beheld macaroons! These ones contained only coconut, egg whites, and evap. cane juice with honey. They are sulfite, lactose, soy, wheat, gluten, dairy and yeast free.  They are, however, absolutely delicious but relatively high in calories (130C for 2) so I think I'm going to make my own from now on.

Happy picnicking!

No comments:

Post a Comment